If you are involved in an automobile accident, even a minor one, you may end up feeling scared, confused, and unsure of your next steps. The unfortunate truth is that when we learn how to drive, no one teaches us what to do in the event of a crash. Since thousands of accidents occur annually on the roads of the Sunshine State, you may require contacting a car accident lawyer in Florida at some point in your life.
So, when should you call a personal injury attorney after a car accident? In most cases, accident victims want to wrap up the whole incident as soon as possible—simply because, no one wants to complicate the situation by involving a car accident lawyer. However, after a crash, you may be glad that you did consider calling an experienced auto accident lawyer.
Let’s first explore what you should do after a car accident. Experienced automobile accident attorneys at MANGAL, PLLC suggest some crucial steps to take following a car accident, and why you should definitely call an expert auto crash lawyer soon after an accident.
Most Common Accident Sites
Regardless of the place and time, there’s always a possibility of an automobile accident. As a matter of fact, around 6 million car accidents occur each year in the U.S. Not all of these accidents are deadly, but most of them result in serious injuries and hefty medical expenses.
Although every auto crash is unique, there are common factors that contribute to the majority of accidents. To help you stay alert when you are at the wheel, here are some places where car accidents occur frequently:
- Parking lots
- Rural areas
- Close to home
Steps to Take After an Automobile Accident
In the event of a crash, there are some important steps you should take for your own safety, for the safety of other people, and to gather the necessary information to file a claim with your insurer. Moreover, if you eventually hire a car accident attorney and chose to file a lawsuit, there are specific steps to take to bolster your case and up your odds of obtaining the compensation you deserve. Here’s what you need to do after an automobile crash:
- Check for Injuries: The first thing to do after an accident is to check yourself and passengers (if any) for injuries. Even in minor accidents, severe injuries may happen. If the victim is seriously injured, call 911 without delay.
- Move to a Safe Place: If you find no serious injuries to anyone involved in the crash, move your car to a safe location— on the side of the road or in a parking area. If your vehicle stopped functioning, leave the car and move to a safe place.
- Call 911: Once you reach a safe place, dial 911. This will ensure that paramedics and police arrive at the scene as quickly as possible. The police will prepare a formal accident report and make the accident scene safe for other drivers on the road.
- Exchange Information: While you wait for the police to arrive, make use of this time to exchange insurance information with the other driver involved in the crash. Avoid giving any information other than your basic contact and insurance details. Also, never accept your fault in front of the other driver.
- Collect Evidence: Evidence is important, especially if your case goes to trial. Take photographs of your vehicle, any other vehicles involved, and the accident scene. Capture as many pictures as you can. You can also consider talking to any witnesses who saw the accident.
Should You Call an Auto Accident Attorney in Florida after an Accident?
After an automobile crash, you should always call an experienced car accident attorney in Clermont, Florida. Even if you feel that the accident is not a major one, it is great to contact an auto crash lawyer to find out if they can benefit you in some way or another. Simply having the right information from an expert can take your case in the right direction while also helping you decide your next steps.
If you have sustained injuries in a car crash, you must have a skilled auto accident attorney by your side. These legal professionals will handle insurance companies and other lawyers involved in your case, as well as manage all the paperwork required to file a lawsuit. Note that the police report of your accident may serve as an important piece of evidence, particularly if your car accident case enters the courtroom.
After calling 911 and exchanging insurance details with the other party, you should immediately contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Clermont, Florida. Your attorney can assist you in assessing the case, understanding your legal options, negotiating with insurance companies, and if needed, file a lawsuit, so that you get the best compensation possible to cover your losses. Remember that even if you were partially responsible for the crash, you can still receive some recompense. If you would like to try to settle your case outside of the courtroom, your automobile accident attorney can inform you of the pros and cons, and help you decide on your next steps. Regardless of the severity of your accident, this call can be the difference between receiving inadequate compensation and getting the right settlement amount to cover all your losses due to the car accident.